German Darts Masters European Tour Event Two
Ballhausforum, Dolce Hotel, Munich
Monday March 28 Afternoon Session (1pm-5pm local time, 12pm-4pm UK time)
Peter Wright v Cristo Reyes
Wright (L32-SF-QF-RU-L16) (Last 5 Euro Tour events qualified for – most recent on the right)
- Wright has won a European Tour event previously this was the European Darts Open in 2014.
- He has been runner-up in two finals the most recent of these came in the last Euro Tour tournament in the 2015 season.
- At last month’s Dutch Darts Masters he lost in the Last 16 to Daryl Gurney.
- He has reached at least the semi-finals in each of his last 3 ranking tournaments.
- Reyes has equalled his best ever appearance in a Euro Tour event, matching his run to the Last 16 at the European Darts Trophy last year. On that occasion he lost 6-5 to Mervyn King (having also beaten Dolan in the previous round).
- Since he joined the PDC circuit he hasn’t reached a ranking quarter-final.
- This is his best run in a ranking tournament this season; previously he hadn’t been further than the Last 32.
Adrian Lewis v James Richardson
- Lewis is chasing his first Euro Tour title since winning the German Darts Masters in 2012. That tournament was also the last time he reached a final in a Euro Tour tournament.
- He has only failed to get past the Last 16 in 2 of his last 8 Euro Tour tournaments.
- Lewis has appeared in 2 ranking tournament finals so far in 2016, winning one and losing one.
- Richardson’s best appearance in a Euro Tour event was when he reached the quarter-finals of the Austrian Darts Open in 2012. In the Last 16 of that tournament he defeated van Gerwen 6-5 before losing to Chisnall in the quarter-finals.
- This is his best run in a ranking tournament so far this season.
Ian White v Jelle Klaasen
White’s best run at a Euro Tour event came in 2012 at the German Darts Masters when he reached the final before losing to Adrian Lewis.
He has only been further than the Last 16 in 3 of his last 16 Euro Tour tournaments.
White has reached at least the quarter-finals in 3 of his last 4 ranking tournaments.
- Klaasen’s best appearance in a Euro Tour event was at the German Darts Championship’s in 2014 when he reached the semi-finals.
- He has been to the quarter-finals on 4 other occasions, 3 of these have been in the last 6 Euro Tour events he has qualified for.
- On the 2016 ranking circuit his best run has been to the semi-finals of the UK Open earlier this month.
Michael Smith v James Wilson
- Smith is a 3 time winner on the European Tour, having won 2 of the tournaments in 2015.
- He has been further than the Last 16 only 3 times in his last 10 Euro Tour tournaments (he did win 2 of those tournaments though).
- He reached the quarter-finals in 2 of the first 3 ranking tournaments this season, since then he hasn’t reached a quarter-final in his last 7 tournaments.
- Wilson has reached this stage of a Euro Tour tournament for the first time, having only joined the tour at the start of last year.
- This is his best appearance in a ranking tournament this season and is in fact the first time he has reached the Last 16 in a ranking tournament since May 2015.
Joe Cullen v Benito van de Pas
- Cullen has reached the quarter-finals on 3 occasions in Euro Tour tournaments; the most recent of these was at the European Darts Grand Prix last autumn.
- He has had a good start to 2016 reaching 1 semi-final and has 3 other quarter-final appearances to his name. He has reached at least the quarter-finals in each of his last 3 tournaments.
van de Pas (L32-L32-L16-L32-QF)
- Benito van de Pas reached the final of a Euro Tour tournament; this was last year at the International Darts Open.
- He also reached the quarter-finals at the Dutch Darts Masters last month when he lost 6-5 to Mervyn King.
- He has 2 semi-final appearances on the tour this season, both came in UK Open qualifiers back in February.
William O’Connor v Gary Anderson
- O’Connor has reached this stage in a Euro Tour event for only the second time. His best run in one came at the German Darts Masters last year when he reached the quarter-finals.
- This is the first time he has reached the Last 16 in a ranking tournament since that quarter-final at the German Darts Masters in April last year.
- Anderson has won European Tour tournament win to his name, this was at the German Darts Championships in 2014; his last appearance in a final came in the same tournament last year.
- Perhaps surprisingly Anderson has only been further than the Last 16 in 5 of the 17 Euro Tour tournaments he has qualified for.
- On the 2016 tour he won a UK Open qualifier in February and reached the semi-finals of a Players Championship tournament earlier this month.
Dave Chisnall v Chris Dobey
- Chisnall’s sole Euro Tour tournament win came at the German Darts Championship in 2013. He has finished runner-up 3 times, most recently in the European Matchplay last autumn.
- His run to the quarter-finals at the Dutch Darts Masters last month is his best showing in a ranking tournament this season and this is the first time he has appeared in the Last 16 of a tournament since then.
- This is his best appearance in a Euro Tour event, having only qualified once previously when he lost in the 1st
- This tournament also equals his best run in a PDC ranking tournament, having reached the Last 16 in 2 Players Championship tournaments.
Michael van Gerwen v Kevin Painter
van Gerwen (SF-RU-W-L32-W)
Michael van Gerwen is a 9 time European Tour tournament winner and won the previous Euro Tour event this season (the Dutch Darts Masters last month).
He already has 5 ranking tournament wins to his name in 2016 and has reached the final in 7 of his last 9 ranking tournaments.
- Painter’s best run in a Euro Tour event came at the European Darts Open in 2014 when he reached the semi-finals.
That semi-final appearance was the last time he progressed further than the Last 16 and was the only time in his last 11 Euro Tour events that he has been further than the Last 16 stage.