- Product – Collared Steel Point
- Brand – Winmau
- Variation – Grooved (Smooth also av.)
- R.R.P – £6+
- Marks – 9/10
During 2018, whilst on a visit to Winmau HQ, our product testers A.I.M: were assisting an unnamed major-finalist in redesigning his dart. We had a number of aims, no pun intended, but a major objective was to reduce deflections and their impact. It was important that the player in question had greater reliability in this area. In addition, reduction in flight and stem damage is obviously a useful advantage.
The last element came into place when we were handed a Winmau prototype of a new steel point that was to be in the 2019 range. It was called ‘Freeflo’ and we were immediately impressed. It appeared to solve the issues that some similar points have had. We agreed to have them fitted to the early edition of the player’s darts and then began to test them in a serious way.
In the six or seven months that followed we subjected the new points to rigorous testing in multiple dart styles amongst numerous different players across a wide spectrum of ability. In total, they were tested over more than 5,000 legs.
It is safe to say that the Freeflow points are an exceptional product. A.I.M: has no doubt in recommending them to almost any player.
The FreeFlo Factor!
- Stiff & Strong steel construction. This removed the issue of over-flexing seen with other collared points, especially in 30mm+ length.
- Perfect barrel fit. We tried them in many different barrel brands and had no issue with fitting them to any slot or with any join area.
- Sharper for longer. Many of the new point technologies get blunt quickly and can be difficult to sharpen well. Not the case with FreeFlo; they are razor sharp and stay that way for hundreds of legs and can be conventionally sharpened.
- Strength. Many similar style points have a reputation for breaking easily and snapping inside the barrel. This is a major issue for customers and leads to new darts often being needed, which is obviously costly. FreeFlo do not seem to suffer with this fragility at all. Our testers played in all the usual venues and circumstances and we have not yet needed a single replacement!
- Reduced deflections and flight damage. The addition of these points has reduced stem damage by over 30% and flight replacement by almost the same. Deflections have been reduced with any deflections that do happen seemingly being far less dramatic, thus causing less pausing or re-aiming.
Believe it or not, the first complaint came from a player who rested his finger on the tip of the point and said he simply could not cope with the sharpness of the tips and had to blunt them slightly. A slight wearing of the collar area takes place over time due to the metal being relatively soft.
Professional Player – “Massive thanks to Winmau, these have given me the edge I was looking for. It could be the last piece of the jigsaw”. (21g Signature)
Good Amateur – “Brilliant, I have full confidence in my dart and throw, these are superb”. (18g Tapered)
Enthusiastic Amateur- “This is the first time I have been able to use this type of point. I’m really happy to rest my finger in the same place every time.” (24g Zagato)
An excellent product from Winmau. A.I.M: believe that point technology is one reason for the increase in players hitting high averages and improving the professional game. Winmau have caught up and moved on again with FreeFlo.