Daryl Gurney has form when it comes to outperforming expectations. Could Finals Night be an occasion made for him?
Daryl Gurney is thought of as the least likely, of the four finalists, to lift the Unibet Premier League Trophy. However, although he has the toughest route, this should not lead to him being written off. Here are a few reasons he may prove the surprise of the night.
- Daryl has defeated MVG in three out of their last four meetings. Including a TV major final. He does not seem as intimidated, by Micheal, as many other players.
- Gurney has a decent record against both Cross and Wade winning close to half his matches with both.
- Somehow he is often underestimated, despite already claiming two major titles and being in World’s top five.
- The format does not seem to have much effect. ‘Superchin’ has claimed victory over MVG in short and longer games and his major wins have been in both sets and leg based formats.
- His recent form shows him winning games by decent margins and only losing in tight situations to high-quality, inform, players.
Gurney’s performance could set the tone for Finals Night. If he defeats MVG, or gives him a serious fright, we are likely to witness a tough competitive final. If Micheal hits the gas and swipes him aside, a procession could be on the cards.